A British military convoy has been attacked while on patrol in , the Ministry of Defence in London has said.
The explosion in the crowded centre of the Afghan capital on Sunday is reported to have injured at least three civilians, including a woman and a child.
There were no British casualties in the blast, which the MoD said was caused by an improvised explosive device. The Afghan interior ministry blamed a suicide car bomber.
An armoured vehicle was overturned in the attack, for which the claimed responsibility. Charred metal littered the area, according to reports.
The MoD said: “We can confirm that at approximately 9.10 this morning a convoy of UK military vehicles on a routine road move as part of the Nato resolute support mission was struck by an improvised explosive device. There were no UK casualties.”
A spokesman for the US-led mission said no casualties among the convoy’s participants had been reported.
The Afghan interior ministry told Agence France-Presse: “The incident took place while a suicide car bomber detonated an explosive-packed car in the Joy Shir area of Kabul city. The target of the attacker were the foreign forces convoy.”
Officials added: “The ministry of interior condemns in the strongest terms the suicide attack which resulted in the wounding of three civilians.”
The blast came as fighting continues between government troops and the Taliban around the , which fell briefly to the insurgent Islamist movement at the end of September.
The Pentagon in Washington has announced it will pay compensation to families of those killed and injured by US airstrikes which struck a hospital run by