News - Afghanistan
A large number of Taliban insurgents attacked military posts on the Herat-Kandahar highway in western Farah province early Saturday, local officials said.
The attack took place at about 05:00am after Taliban insurgents attacked the military posts. The clash ended when more troops were sent in along with helicopter support, Taj Mohammad Jahid, the commander of the 207th Corps of the Afghan National Army (ANA) in western Afghanistan said.
"Fighting ended about 10:00 am and the insurgents fled the area. There were no Afghan military casualties in the attack," he said.
However, there was no information about insurgent casualty figures.
Meanwhile, an eyewitness said that the Herat and Kandahar highway had been closed due to the attack, but military officials said the highway has been reopened.
"The military forces are checking the area to ensure insurgents have not placed any roadside mines," Jahid said.
The Taliban have not yet commented on the attack.
The insurgents recently increased their attacks in the province and frequently target the Afghan security forces.