Suicide attack targets Nato convoy in Afghanistan

An injured NATO soldier lies on the ground following a suicide car bomb attack that targeted foreign military vehicles in the Afghan capital Kabul
An injured NATO soldier lies on the ground following a suicide car bomb attack that targeted foreign military vehicles in the Afghan capital Kabul  Photo: Rex

A Taliban-claimed suicide car bomb targeting a foreign forces convoy in Kabul has left one civilian dead and 22 others injured.

The Tuesday afternoon blast occurred near the Makroiyan neighbourhood of the Afghan capital. The area is home to a busy market, shopping centres and the boys campus of the Bibi Mahro school.

Sediq Sediqqi, Ministry of Interior spokesman, confirmed the casualty toll.

Sources on the scene however, believe the actual toll may be higher than initially reported.

In an online statement, the Taliban confirmed that their target was a passing convoy belonging to the Nato coalition in the country.


A destroyed NATO military vehicle following the suicide car bomb attack

In a tweet, Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, claimed a vehicle in the convoy been destroyed and that all passengers on board were killed. The group is often known to exaggerate their claims.

The Nato mission denied that any of their forces or equipment were damaged in the attack.

In a tweet, Resolute Support, as the coalition is now known, said, that all personnel and equipment had been “safely recovered.”

However, Nato spokeswoman Capt. Susan Harrington did confirm to the Associated Press news agency that two coalition troops suffered "minor injuries.”

Harrington did not reveal the nationalities of the wounded soldiers.

For Afghans online, the explosion once again raised questions about the dangers of having foreign forces vehicles on the streets of Kabul.

“Seriously why would they still drive in vehicle convoys?! If they don't care abt their own, they should respect lives of all those civilians,” one tweet read.

“Whoever the target might be, Afghans get killed/injured,” another user said.

Tuesday’s blast is the second attack on the Afghan capital during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Prior to the start of Ramadan, the group rebuked calls for a ceasefire during the holiday.

The attack in Kabul came only hours after a car bomb in the southern province of Helmand killed two and wounded 51 others in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital.

Follow @telegraphnews
Source : telegraph[dot]co[dot]uk
post from sitemap