- 560 g plain white flour, sifted
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 packet fast-acting yeast
- 275 ml lukewarm water
- 12 tbs oil, plus more for deep-frying
- 50 g icing sugar
- Sift the flour with the salt and mix in the yeast.
- Add the water a little at a time and mix to form a firm dough.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, shape it into a ball and leave it, covered, in a bowl for about half an hour.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls, and again divide each of these into 4, making 16 altogether.
- On a lightly floured board roll each ball in turn into a disk no thicker than 1.5 mm. Then, using a pastry brush, brush 1 tablespoon of oil over 3 disks and stack them on top of each other topping with a fourth.
- Press down lightly with a rolling pin.
- Each stack should not be more than 5 mm thick.
- Repeat, making 4 breads in all.
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a large frying-pan and deep-fry the breads over a medium to high heat, one at a time, until light brown.
- They should not be too crisp.
- Remove and drain.
- Sift the icing sugar over the hot breads, on both sides.