MSF hospital airstrike: who are the victims?

As many as 20 people were killed and more than 30 others injured when in the Afghan city of Kunduz early on Saturday morning.

The death toll, which sources have said could rise further, includes nine MSF members of staff and seven patients from the facility’s intensive care unit.

Here is everything we know about the victims so far:

Doctor Ehsan Osmani.
Doctor Ehsan Osmani. Photograph: Twitter

The 25-year-old doctor was working the intensive care unit at the Kunduz hospital when the airstrike occurred, according to a close friend and colleague.

Osmani, who grew up in the city, was supposed to be on one of his final shifts at the MSF facility, having resigned days earlier after securing a new job at a hospital in Kabul.

The colleague said Osmani was one of many medics who was missing immediately after the bombardment. “Ehsan was a good man, a good friend,” he added.

Zabihullah Pashtoonyar.
Zabihullah Pashtoonyar. Photograph: Twitter/Bashir Ahmad Gwakh @bashirgwakh

Pashtoonyar had been working as a security guard at the MSF hospital for three months before the airstrike, having returned to Kunduz from Pakistan eight years ago.

He was also studying at the city’s university and was a presenter at Radio Kayhan Kunduz, where he anchored a programme on literature and poetry. According to fellow journalists, he was known for his pleasant voice. He was reportedly wounded by shrapnel and did not make it to Kunduz hospital in time. The Afghan Journalists Safety Committee issued a mourning his loss and expressing sympathy for his family.

“He was a good person,” Aziz, a close friend said. When two correspondents were killed in Kunduz recently, Pashtoonyar attended protests to call for protection of the press. “He always made peaceful protests. He was a very humble man,” Aziz said.

Akbar was 22 when he was killed in the bombardment on Saturday morning, his cousin Nasratullah told the Guardian.

Related:

“He had been working in the hospital for a long time. He was a famous doctor,” he said. He is believed to be one of several doctors in their 20s killed in the blast.

Originally from Chardara district, 33-year-old Salarzai had worked for MSF in Kunduz for five years. Friday night was not his shift but he insisted on being at the hospital, which was running over-capacity, to treat the many patients, a cousin, Rahmanullah, said.

He lost a leg in the attack and stayed alive for three hours, during which he called his family and told them he was losing blood. At 5am, his cousin said, the doctors tried to perform an operation on him, but the blood loss was too severe to save him. Salarzai is survived by his wife and three children, the oldest of whom is six years old.

Zahir, 48, was the deputy director of MSF in Kunduz, and joined the charity after a long career in humanitarian work. According to a cousin, Mohammad Ayub, he started working 10 years ago for a German NGO in Laghman province, before moving on to Nangarhar provincial hospital where he was director of the children’s ward.

After a stint working for WHO in Kunar province, he joined MSF when it opened its hospital in Kunduz in 2011. As a director, Zahir was not required to work nightshifts and was not supposed to be at the hospital at the time of the attack, his cousin said, but he chose to work throughout the night anyway to treat the many patients. Zahir was buried in his home district of Dast-e Archin, and is survived by eight children.


Source : theguardian[dot]com
post from sitemap