Civilian Casualties Slightly Increase In Kandahar

News - Afghanistan

Saturday, 25 June 2016 07:57 Last Updated on Saturday, 25 June 2016 10:41 Written by Abdullah Achakzai

warreportpoic

Officials in provincial office of Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) in Kandahar have said that civilian casualties have surged up to six percent in the province over the past three months – compared to the same period last year.

Kandahar is among relatively secure provinces in the southern zone, but the commission says they are concerned about the increase in civilian casualties for which they mostly blame militants.

"If the conflicts continue, Kandahar residents will face a crisis, because they will not only lose their lives, but also their living facilities will be lost," said AIHRC spokesman in Kandahar, Abdul Aziz Akar.

Meanwhile, head of AIHRC monitoring office in Kandahar, Fakhruddin Fayiz, said the warring sides are not paying enough attention to protect civilians during their clashes.

According to him, nearly 245 civilians were killed or injured in conflicts over the past three months in Kandahar, while the figures were 215 in the same period last year.

"Anti-government armed militants have been mainly responsible for civilian casualties in Kandahar, because they plant mines. In the meantime, we are not ignoring the casualties that are incurred to civilians in military operations carried out by government forces," he added.

This comes after a security report by TOLOnews earlier this month revealed that civilian casualties have increased by 55 percent in May compared to March this year.

According to the report, over 120 civilians were killed in conflict and violence during May in Afghanistan.

Source : tolonews[dot]com
post from sitemap